Sunday, July 5, 2020

June 2020 Wrap-Up

I feel like I got back on track with my reading this month, which I'm happy about. 12 books is a good number for one month. I also watched a lot of shows in June -- I am reliving my love for Korean dramas and I have a new-found love for Spanish dramas. Fun stuff. 

Here are the books I read in June:

*Click on the titles for my review or Goodreads link.

*Click on the titles for my review or Goodreads link.


*Click on the titles for my review or Goodreads link.


Since I've always treated this blog as an online journal for books, I wanted to do a quick wrap-up of the shows I watched too.

1. Las Chicas del Cable (English: Cable Girls) - WOMEN! Fighting for rights, equality, and freedom! Set in the late 1920s to the early 1930s Spain. I've grown to love this so much. It just recently ended after releasing the last season on July 3. The ending is very impactful, in my opinion.

2. Busted! (범인은 바로 너) - South Korean actors and artists are called to team up to solve mysteries. Each episode has a different case but there's a whole plot following them per season. I can't wait for season 3 to release this November!!

3. Her Private Life (그녀의 사생활) - my comeback to Korean dramas! I haven't watched in over a year and this has been on my list since it got released. The girl MC is an art curator at a museum, but her secret is that she's a huge fangirl of an idol and even manages a fansite. The guy MC is the new director of the museum. Definitely recommend -- the romance is sweet and swoony, the MCs have amazing chemistry, there's good family & friendship dynamics and all the drama (though it wasn't excessive here, which I appreciate) you could expect from kdramas.

4. Kim's Convenience - A sitcom about a Korean-Canadian family who runs a convenience store in Toronto. I love sitcoms and I'm glad I watched this. It's definitely the chill, feel-good show you could watch if you just need a laugh

5. Queer Eye Season 5 - What more should I say? The Fab Five gives makeovers to their guests, but it's more than just a makeover. This show is one of my favorites!

On a more serious note...
#JunkTerrorLaw and #BlackLivesMatter

There has been A LOT that happened in the past few weeks. I'll just admit that when it comes to serious issues like this, I never really know what to say that hasn't already been said. I'm angry these things keep happening. I'm angry about the situation in my country. I'm angry racism is still so prevalent in 2020. 

I'm generally not on social media a lot, and if I am I usually just retweet content that I want to boost whether it's about updates on the Anti-Terror Bill in the Philippines, more petitions to sign to help black people and the unjustly arrested protestors, donation links, etc. Despite my absence on social media, I've been taking action offline. I'm educating myself, reading up on issues and updates, spending hours to email government representatives, having conversations with the people in my life, and always donating whenever I can.

Links I constantly check are:
For further reading: this carrd does a good job compiling references: https://issuesintheworld.carrd.co/

JKR's problematic self
I've posted in my previous wrap-ups that I recently reread the Harry Potter series. While I grew up loving the series, I do not stand by nor tolerate any of JK Rowling's recent transphobic comments nor any other statements she has made that has hurt any marginalized group. I have not continued to support her works past the Harry Potter series and from here on out, I will no longer continue to support her online or offline. 

Trans lives matter.

                                                                                                                          ♡, Z.
instagram | twitter | goodreads
Never miss a post by following 
this blog through email / Bloglovin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

< > Home
emerge © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.